Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Teleteaching

I spent most of the day day-dreaming out my window. Do you think it would be possible to teach from the pool? Through conference calls? After a margarita?

I decided that yes, it would be possible. I would, however, need to fax in my morning letter. One of the over enthusiastic patrols in training could pick it up from the office and write the message on the white board. That could be their post. Then, the morning meeting leader could run both morning meeting and calendar math.

The rest of the day would be a giant literacy - research block. My students would continue researching, planning, and writing their class outer space report. After awhile, they would need to edit and revise their future published pieces. But, like real authors, they would harass their loved ones - or in this case their classmates -to edit their work. Then, and only then, they would fax a final draft to me at my pool side desk. As their editor, I would make many changes, fax it back to them, and then demand they take a book tour promoting "Outer Space Stuff" down the third grade hall.

What a great experience I would have created for my students - autonomy! real life publishing experience! appreciation for distant figure heads! My students would know more then the writer's process, they would know never say under their breath comments during a conference call. Their editor can hear them and can give them detention. Even from the pool.

5 comments:

organized chaos said...

i read this early this morning and I've spent all day thinking about it. how fabulous would that be? If I could have made it work from Ireland I wouldn't have ever had to leave...

Jeffrey McClurken said...

Fax? They should use a scanner with a document feeder or just email the document to you. Then no trees would be lost in the project and you could use many colors, fonts and strikethroughs in your pre-book tour editing....

Tree said...

Jeff, Very true about the scanner. And I never want to lose a tree. However, it is not yet a skill I have taught my students. Next year. This year, I will continue with my environment-hating ways since bugging the office is a skill my students have perfected.

Blink said...

I have been thinking about this concept for a couple of years. NCLB prompted the thought...what do all those kids in the rural reaches of Montana or Virginia or... do when they need to be taught by a highly qualified teacher and there isn't one available? I thought, "interactive online courses"...We certainly have the technology to do it. Let's ponder this one.

organized chaos said...

I've heard (through my republican sources) that Colorado is doing a lot with this to accomodate the remote learners. I can't imagine, but I've heard it is successful. Actually, I might have enjoyed middle school 100% more if I could have stayed at home, read, written, and learned without classmates. hmmmmm....