Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Using Towels to Fling Rubber Chickens over Volleyball Nets

Field day was last week (not all of the week, only one day, regardless of how it felt). I was stationed at the frisbee throw - simple, enjoyed by the kids, and requiring little effort from me. Sounds perfect.

The station next to mine was the Rubber Chicken Toss. I don't think that was the official name, but it sums it up well. It involved working with a partner to use a towel to fling a rubber chicken over the volleyball net. Kids on the other side tried to catch the rubber chicken and fling it back over. It's genius! I want to work that station next year.

The best part of it all was the first group. The two teachers running the station were not completely clear on how it worked and they did not have the towels out. As a result, kids were just flinging the rubber chickens over pell-mell. Rubber chickens flying through the air is a sight to make anything bearable (even field day).

Just as an aside, I have to admit how exceptionally well run field day is at our school. I complain, but I'm grateful for the impressive organization our PE teachers have created. I can't imagine anything that could be done to improve it.

No comments: