Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Staying Home Sick was More Fun When I was Eight

I think my small intestines knotted themselves up in such away that they needed my stomach to complete the big fancy bow maneuver that would REALLY impress my colon. My stomach is beyond confused -- there is enough of it not in the fancy bow to feel hungry, yet no where for the food to go but up. And the food that does manage to wiggle through the bow does not seem to be enjoying the joy ride down. The rest of my body, jealous I assume from the small intestines obvious favoritism to the colon, cramps, tightens, and stiffens as it fights to untangle the love bow.

My options of What To Do are limited - curl up in a ball and pretend to sleep, curl up in a ball and pretend to read, or curl up in a ball and pretend to watch t.v. When I was eight, this would have been almost heaven -- snuggled with my softest blanket and some gatorade, I would hunker down for the day in a fort of books and pillows. I might even watch a movie or two.

Now, as a teacher, I am confined to curling up in a ball and worry. Did I email back those parents? Should I grade those papers? Did I mention the calendar routine in my plans? Will my students behave? Will they stay on task? Will they understand the sorting activity? Will they grow as learners and discover themselves as thinkers if I am not there to guide them???

I know the classroom will not come to crashing halt, ending all of civilization, because I am out with the flu. It just feels that way.

No comments: